Sport : Boxing

IT'S PARTY TIME FOR DAVID HAYE

21st February 2012, 05:00pm

Bet with SkyBet  Upcoming Fights. Click here to bet.

Booth says Haye has no intention of facing Chisora

Booth says Haye has no intention of facing Chisora

David Haye jetted off to "warmer climates" without a care in the world on Tuesday afternoon as German police admitted their hands are tied for up to a fortnight as they try to track him down.

Haye could technically face up to five years in a German prison if found guilty of "dangerous assault" during Saturday's shocking press conference brawl with Dereck Chisora, who could be jailed for two years.

However, both sentences would be extreme scenarios and any action is more likely to be in the form of strong financial penalties.

Munich Police have revealed it could take up to two weeks to get hold of Haye as they hunt him in connection with the incident.

He had been keeping a low profile but arrived at Heathrow Airport on Tuesday before boarding a flight - reportedly to Las Vegas - and Tweeting: "Managed to shake off them bird watchers (photographers) on M25! Jetting off to warmer climates. Its PARTY TIME!"

Haye then posted a picture of himself in a first class aeroplane seat.

A Munich Police spokesman confirmed on Monday they would enlist the help of British colleagues at Scotland Yard to track down Haye but it is believed such a bureaucratic process could take up to a fortnight.

Chisora was arrested, questioned and released on Sunday, having grappled with Haye and vowed to "shoot" his rival during their confrontation, which followed his WBC heavyweight title loss to Vitali Klitschko.

Haye, who punched Chisora with a fist clutching a glass bottle and then seemed to hit Chisora's trainer Don Charles with a camera tripod, fled immediately and headed straight for the airport with manager Adam Booth. Booth had suffered a nasty cut to the head, seemingly from accidentally getting in the way of Haye's tripod.

A police spokesman said: "We're going to ask the British to help us but this is not a quick process.

"We have to go through the right channels, send letters, etc.

"We don't expect something to happen for around two weeks. It is not a serious charge, like murder - it is just a case involving two famous people."

Booth reiterated that the former world champion has no intention of meeting Chisora in the ring.

Both men broke their public silence on Monday, Chisora offering an unreserved apology for his part in the incident and Haye offering a lengthy explanation of his actions while stopping short of saying sorry.

It has been speculated that the brawl was partly about generating interest in a potential Haye versus Chisora bout but Booth, who was cut on the forehead in the melee in Munich, dismissed that idea.

He insists Haye, who is currently retired, is only interested in returning to the sport to face Vitali or Wladimir Klitschko, the latter having defeated Haye already last year.

The Klitschko camp have indicated that Haye is not of interest to them, leaving Booth to speculate that his retirement could be permanent.

"David is still retired. He has no plans to fight again," Booth told Radio Five Live.

"He's always said the only people he would come out (of retirement) to fight is one of the Klitschko brothers and what happened on Saturday night doesn't change that one bit."

Zimbabwe-born Chisora said in a statement released to Press Association Sport: "I feel I must wholeheartedly apologise for my part in the regrettable scenes both before and after what was to be the biggest night of my career."

Haye says he will assist the boxing authorities in their enquiries but seems intent on ignoring the attention of German police.

He said: "I realise I am no angel - and don't mind a bit of professional trash-talk to help raise boxing's profile - but, during my 21 years in the sport, I have never been involved in, or even witnessed, such a serious fracas."

Haye claims the fracas was instigated by Chisora and stopped short of apologising, but did say: "It goes without saying, I am bitterly disappointed to have been a part of what transpired on Saturday evening."

In a statement, British Boxing Board of Control secretary Robert Smith confirmed Chisora will appear before stewards on March 14 "with regard to his behaviour prior, during and after" his loss to Klitschko.

Haye is not currently answerable to the board, having relinquished his licence in October when he officially retired. However, he would need to re-apply if he wanted to fight again.

Bet with SkyBet  Upcoming Fights. Click here to bet.

Boxing Videos

    Second Shout - Quigg impresses

    Second Shout - Quigg impresses

    14-September-2014

    Andy Scott is joined by Paul Smith and Johnny Nelson to discuss the wins for Scott Quigg and Anthony Joshua.

    Mayweather extends unbeaten record

    Mayweather extends unbeaten record

    14-September-2014

    Floyd Mayweather extended his unbeaten record to 47 fights after winning a unanimous points decision against Marcos Maidana in Las Vegas.

    Crolla left frustrated

    Crolla left frustrated

    13-September-2014

    Anthony Crolla was left frustrated after his contest with Gamaliel Diaz was ruled a technical draw after the referee stopped the fight on the advice from the doctor.

    Quigg wants Frampton next

    Quigg wants Frampton next

    13-September-2014

    Scott Quigg stops Stephane Jamoye in the third round and sets his sight on rival Carl Frampton next.

    Sky Bet

    Facebook Favourites