Sport : Boxing

Flintoff under fire

13th September 2012, 02:29pm

Bet with SkyBet  Upcoming Fights. Click here to bet.

Flintoof: Set to make his debut in the ring in November

Flintoof: Set to make his debut in the ring in November

Frank Warren and David Price have dismissed Andrew Flintoff's professional debut as "car crash television".

Former England cricket captain Flintoff has applied for his boxing license and is due to fight at the MEN Arena on November 30 against an opponent yet to be named.

BoxNation will screen the 34-year-old's first outing in the sport, but Warren has reservations about the event.

"For me it's car crash television, I'll be blunt about it," the promoter said.

"I'm not taking anything away from him, it's been shown on BoxNation which I'm involved in, but I won't be promoting it."

Price, the British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion, insists Flintoff is only justified in fighting if his motives are genuine.

"Freddie's as entitled as anyone to try it out and some people come to professional boxing later in life," Price said.

"But if it's just some type of PR stunt then it's disrespectful to boxing.

"The reality is he could get hurt if there's someone in front of him who'll stand up and throw punches back.

"It's car crash TV but will probably get people watching."

Warren is attempting to sign Anthony Joshua, who won heavyweight gold at London 2012 last month, to his stable of fighters.

"Joshua should turn pro as soon as possible. I don't see the point of him boxing on until the next Olympics in 2016," Warren said.

"All he'll be doing if he stays an amateur is fighting the same guys for the next four years."

Bet with SkyBet  Upcoming Fights. Click here to bet.

Boxing Videos

    #Toe 2 Toe - 29th July

    #Toe 2 Toe - 29th July

    29-July-2015

    Ed Draper is joined by Ed Robinson and Spencer Fearon to bring you the latest news from boxing and answer some of your tweets. For the full extended podcast go to Click here or head to iTunes for the full extended podcast

    No Groves date confirmed

    No Groves date confirmed

    28-July-2015

    Badou Jack said the date for his fight with George Groves has not been confirmed.

    Coyle prepared for 'Rumble on the Humber'

    Coyle prepared for 'Rumble on the Humber'

    28-July-2015

    Tommy Coyle says he is excited and prepared for the WBC Lightweight Title Eliminator bout against Luke Campbell in Hull in a fight that is being labelled the 'Rumble on the Humber'. You can watch the fight this Saturday Live on Sky Sports.

    Moore: Coyle ready for Campbell

    Moore: Coyle ready for Campbell

    28-July-2015

    Tommy Coyle's trainer, Jamie Moore, says his fighter is in the best shape of his life, and is ready for the WBC Lightweight Title Eliminator against Luke Campbell in Hull this Saturday.

    Sky Bet

    Facebook Favourites