Promoter Frank Warren has given Scott Harrison genuine hope that he could return to world title action by fighting the winner of Saturday's contest between Ricky Burns and Kevin Mitchell.
Former world champion Harrison will box on the undercard of the WBO lightweight title fight in Glasgow in only his second bout in almost seven years.
The 34-year-old spent time in a Spanish jail for assault after his career was thrown off course amid personal and alcohol problems.
The Scot gave up his WBO featherweight title in 2006 after failing to make the weight for a defence and fought a long battle to regain his licence, before returning to the ring in June with a fourth-round stoppage against Hungarian teenager Gyorgy Mizsei Jr.
Warren had appeared to end his working relationship with Harrison years ago but the pair were reunited on Thursday at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre to promote Saturday's show.
And there was encouragement for the Cambuslang fighter as he bids to return to the big time.
Warren said: "We have got Scott Harrison, former undefeated world champion, on the card having his second fight back.
"Who knows, if he does what he thinks he can do, and we will see, he could end up fighting the winner of these two guys. And what a fight that would be.
"But that's something that we will see what happens over his next couple of fights."
Harrison firmly believes he can get back to his best after stepping up to lightweight.
Harrison, who is scheduled to fight an unnamed opponent, said: "It's going to be a cracking fight between Ricky and Kevin Mitchell.
"Hopefully in the next fight after this one I will fight the winner, as Frank Warren says. I will know in the next two fights so hopefully that will happen.
"The first fight couldn't have gone any better. Training was perfect, the fight went well, after the fight, everything.
"It was a good night, I hadn't boxed in seven years. I had been in prison for three-and-a-half years so to get back in front of the fans again was a dream come true.
"I won my first world title when I was 25. I'm now nearly 35. I was suspended for five years.
"Obviously Saturday night is a big occasion. I had 11 world title fights and to be back in about it again, I'm looking forward to the future.
"I'm buzzing but eight to 10 round fights don't really get me up for it. I need world title fights."
Meanwhile, Burns' manager, Alex Morrison, has succeeded in removing Terry O'Connor as a judge for the world title contest following discussions with the British Boxing Board of Control.
Phil Edwards was initially pencilled in as the referee but the WBO and BBBofC confirmed today he will now join Richard James Davies and Dave Parris as the ringside scorers with O'Connor in the middle.
Morrison said: "I wasn't happy with one of the judges. He is now the referee.
"He has made poor decisions before against Scots, John Simpson and Brian Carr."
But Coatbridge fighter Burns shrugged off any concerns about the referee and judges, who are all English, as he prepares to face his Dagenham opponent.
He said: "As long as we go out and stick to what we have been training to do, I'm always a believer that whatever happens on the night is going to happen.
"I know I have done all I can and the best man will win on the night."