Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claims they have offered to double Victor Moses' wages but the winger already believes he is available to the highest bidder.
The Latics owner has expressed his concern over the influence the 21-year-old's agent has over the player but the Nigeria international has hinted he could be on his way if the right offer comes in.
Whelan accused Chelsea of "taking the Mickey" with their reported offer of £3million for Moses on Tuesday, whose current deal expires next summer.
"We've made him a very good offer - involving a doubling of his wages - over the next three years," Whelan told the Evening Post.
"It's down to whether the lad himself listens to sense, or whether he listens to his agent.
"The player has to realise that it's his future we're talking about not his agent's.
"Agents want cash out of players, that's all, whereas we want the lad to realise his potential and reach the highest level he can.
"If we have to sell him, we will do so reluctantly - but not for the money that is currently on the table."
Moses, who was on international duty earlier this month, is already thinking about his future.
"Now that am done with the national team, my attention would switch to the transfer window," he told MTNFootball.com
"I have heard a lot of offers are on the table. First of all Wigan have the final say but for me the highest bidder would take the day but right now I am still a DW faithful."
Whelan is keen to keep the winger, signed from Crystal Palace for £2.5million in January 2010, at the DW Stadium for a while longer as he believes the player is developing well under manager Roberto Martinez.
"I personally have told Victor he requires another 12 months minimum under Roberto's guidance before he thinks about moving to a top club," the chairman added.
"He has come on so much in the last two years - and that is purely down to Roberto's help.
"I told him when he signed for Wigan that we'd let him go when the time was right and a big club came in for him.
"In my opinion he's not quite ready for that yet, but another year working with Roberto and he might be."Moses' agent Tony Finnigan has declined to comment on the player's situation or comments made by Whelan.