France coach Laurent Blanc says a decision on his future will be made within 48 hours after he held talks with the French Football Federation on Thursday.
The 46-year-old will be out of contract on June 30, with reports suggesting he may leave the post following Les Bleus' quarter-final exit at Euro 2012.
Blanc spent much of the day in a meeting with FFF president Noel le Graet.
The governing body announced both parties will now take time to consider their respective positions with Blanc later confirming a decision would be made on his France future within the next two days.
"Our meeting did not last all day because I had other commitments," he told L'Equipe. "But everyone said what they had to say, including about the Euros.
"We have many things in common but it is also a personal decision concerning me. We gave ourselves a deadline of 48 hours."
The statement on www.fff.fr said: "Noel le Graet and Laurent Blanc held a lengthy meeting during the day on June 28.
"Following their discussion, the president of the FFF and the coach agreed to give time for reflection."
The FFF had earlier announced they will hold their own meeting on July 3 to discuss the team's results in Poland and Ukraine.
That will be followed by a press conference, at 1215 local time, in which Le Graet will face the cameras.
France's Euro 2012 was overshadowed by reports of dressing-room unrest and infighting.
News surfaced of players being at loggerheads following the Group D loss to Sweden, with Blanc later admitting things "had kicked off a bit" in the immediate aftermath of the 2-0 reverse, which left Les Bleus as runners-up behind England.
The quarter-final exit at the hands of defending champions Spain sparked further reports of bust-ups, while midfielder Samir Nasri also came under the spotlight for an expletive-laden rant at reporters.
Nasri later apologised for the outburst, but the incidents were reminders of France's shambolic 2010 World Cup campaign and player mutiny under former coach Raymond Domenech.
However, Les Bleus captain Hugo Lloris leapt to the defence of his national team-mates, saying they should not be judged on those reports.
"It looks like it only happens in the France team and to this France team," the Lyon goalkeeper said today in an interview with L'Equipe.
"But it happens to all generations at all levels."
Lloris does feel such incidents should not be played out in the media, though.
"Something like that should stay in the dressing room," he said.
"It's about the squad, not individuals. This is where things like this bother me because this is not the first time it has happened.
"I cannot condone what Samir said. But I find it unacceptable that people use that one incident to sum up the behaviour of the team.
"Everything has been mixed up. In sporting terms, it's true the Euros have not been perfect but we must judge things on our journey over the last two years."
Lloris also gave his backing to Blanc and hopes the coach stays on in his current role.
"Everyone listens to the philosophy and words of the coach," said Lloris.
"The decision belongs to the (FFF) president and the coach, but we are in favour of continuity."
Blanc has been linked with the vacancy at Premier League club Tottenham.