Italy expect to keep injured defender Andrea Barzagli in their squad for the European Championship despite a calf injury that will sideline him for the group stages.
The Juventus centre-back picked up the problem during Friday's 3-0 friendly defeat to Russia in Zurich and tests have revealed a first degree strain in his left calf.
Barzagli is expected miss the Azzurri's first three games but doctors are hopeful he could return to play in time for the knockout round, should Italy progress from Group C.
"We will do everything we can to recover him," Italy team doctor Enrico Castellacci said today.
"If we will not be able to get him back for the group stages, then we will try everything possible to have him available for the knockout stages."
The 31-year-old Barzagli, who was a member of Italy's World Cup winning squad in 2006, greatly contributed to the Azzurri giving away just two goals in qualifying.
His injury is a blow for Italy coach Cesare Prandelli, who was set to include Barzagli in his starting XI in the tournament in Poland and Ukraine.
Barzagli will undergo further tests on Friday to confirm the time of recovery.
Should his injury be more serious than expected, Prandelli will make a change to the squad with Inter Milan's Andrea Ranocchia as the number one candidate to replace Barzagli.
Ranocchia was cut from Italy's squad last week when Prandelli reduced it to 23 players.
Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio hopes to have his club team-mate available for the tournament, but believes Italy have plenty of talent to replace Barzagli.
"Andrea is very important for us and I hope he will be recover," he said.
"However, if he does not recover, our national team can count on having great substitutes."
Italy travel to Poland tomorrow and take on European champions and World Cup winners Spain on June 10.
They will also play against Croatia and the Republic of Ireland in Group C.