Steven Caulker signed a new four-year contract and immediately set his sights on breaking in to the Tottenham first team.
Caulker had a successful loan spell at Swansea last season and despite having made just one senior appearance for Spurs, the north London club announced on Thursday afternoon the 20-year-old had signed a new contract until 2016.
The highly-rated defender has received assurances he is part of Tottenham's plans next season as new boss Andre Villas-Boas sets about reducing the average age of the first-team squad.
Caulker has been at Tottenham for the last five years and he is now hoping to challenge the likes of Michael Dawson, Younes Kaboul and Jan Vertonghen, who is expected to sign from Ajax, for a place in Spurs' first team.
"I have been here since I was 15. I worked my way through and hopefully this is the year I get my opportunity and it's up to me to take it," Caulker told Spurs TV Online.
"I have just had a chat with the manager. It's nice to see that I am in his plans. It's nice to hear I have his confidence and his backing so I am looking forward to next season.
"I will have to work hard this year. There are some fantastic centre halves so it's not going to be an easy ride but I have confidence and hopefully with a bit of hard work it will pay off.
"I have been here since I was 15. The club have supported me in the last four or five years so now it's down to me pay them back.
"Last year Tottenham were the most exciting team to watch so to be part of that this year. especially under a new manager, is something I relish."
Thursday's news caps off a successful 12 months for the Caulker. The defender's form at the Liberty Stadium made him a regular in the England Under-21 squad and he learned on Monday that he will be representing Britain at the Olympics.
It will also raise doubts about the future of club captain Ledley King, who is out of contract, and 34-year-old William Gallas, who has been linked with a move to QPR and West Ham.
Caulker is hoping his success will continue in the next 12 months, and he is particularly looking forward to working under Villas-Boas.
"It's a very exciting time for me and for the club," he said.
"We are moving to a new training ground and we have a new manager. Everything is going to be fresh this year.
"When I was told I was in the initial (Olympics) squad of 35 I just hoped I would get the call.
"I'm delighted to be part of it and the fact it's here in Britain means it will be a huge event and something I'll no doubt look back on for many, many years."
Tottenham have already secured the signing of 22-year-old midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson and they hope to wrap up the purchase of Vertonghen from Ajax in the coming days.
One person who wants out of White Hart Lane is Mexican misfit Giovani Dos Santos, who has started just two Barclays Premier League games in four years since signing from Barcelona.
"I want to return to Spain," he told ESPN Radio. "There is a new coach at Tottenham, a new season is starting and it is clear to me that I want to return to Spanish football.
"I think that I will be able to announce the move soon."
Dos Santos, who cost £4.7million four years ago, has accused Tottenham of pricing him out of a move.
"Tottenham have always tried to sell me for double the price that they paid for me," he said. "There are offers, but nothing can be made public yet."