Sport : Football

Ferdinand reveals fans confrontation

2nd January 2013, 04:12pm

Rio Ferdinand: Was confronted at his home

Rio Ferdinand: Was confronted at his home

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has opened up on the time he was confronted by a gang of hooded fans during his contract talks with the club eight years ago.

The group turned up outside the player's house to demand that he sign a new deal.

Ferdinand's future had been the subject of speculation at the time after he had been photographed with then Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon in a restaurant, but that had been a chance encounter.

Ferdinand was asked to come to the door but could not see anyone on his security monitors.

The 34-year-old told Four Four Two magazine: "So I go to the side door and grab a big bit of wood, jump on the side of the wall and I'm just about to scream 'raaaah!' when I see there's a massive group of people, with hoodies and caps covering their faces.

"I just thought, 'I'm going to get served up in a moment, so go bananas and they'll think you're a nutter!'

"Then one of them said, 'We're the United boys, f***ing sign your contract,' and I was like, 'What you talking about? I've only just started negotiating two months ago, what you worrying about?"'

Explaining the background, he added: "Basically I went to see my agent for half-an-hour and Kenyon was with him.

"Someone's taken a picture and made out like we're having a bloody meal together. So I'm saying to these guys, 'If I'm going to do a deal with another club, do you think I'd be doing it in broad daylight?'

"One of the neighbours had called the police by then and they got off when they heard the sirens."

Ferdinand, in a question and answer section with fans, also spoke of the lowest point of his career, when he was banned for eight months after failing to attend a drugs test in 2003.

He said: "If that sort of thing can't make you more responsible then I don't know what can.

"People assume I must have had something to hide but I did all the tests that were asked in the end and the judge said I had proved beyond any doubt I had nothing in my system - those tests trace stuff from months back.

"So I never had any doubt in my mind, it was just irresponsible of me not to go to the test at the time and I got punished severely for it.

"Eight months of my career just gone, just like that. It was easily the lowest point of my career, especially as I knew people were trying to tarnish my name by saying I was into drugs.

"That's the most disappointing thing for me, that people assumed I was involved in drugs or had something to hide."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Football Videos

    Managers heap praise on Henry

    Managers heap praise on Henry

    18-December-2014

    Premier League managers have heaped praise on recently retired Thierry Henry for his impact on English football. Henry has joined Sky Sports as a pundit this week.

    FIFA yet to discuss Garcia resignation

    FIFA yet to discuss Garcia resignation

    18-December-2014

    It is understood that FIFA's Executive Committee is yet to discuss Michael Garcia's corruption investigation, or resignation, following the first day of their meeting in Morocco.

    Once More For Bobby

    Once More For Bobby

    18-December-2014

    Watch 'Once More For Bobby', a Sky Sports Originals documentary about Sir Bobby Robson, from Sunday at 7pm on Sky Sports 1.

    Dyche won't rush Vokes back

    Dyche won't rush Vokes back

    18-December-2014

    Burnley travel to Tottenham this weekend with three wins from their last six league games - a run that has seen them move out of the bottom three. Sean Dyche could also soon be boosted by the return of striker Sam Vokes but the Burnley manager is mindful not to rush him back.

    Sky Bet

      • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

    Facebook Favourites