Tuesday is shaping up to be a key day in Liverpool's search for a new manager as Wigan boss Roberto Martinez prepares to announce his future plans.
It is understood the Latics will hold a press conference this week in which Martinez is expected to announce whether or not he will stay at the club.
The 38-year-old met Liverpool's owners in Miami on Thursday to discuss the managerial vacancy and was not put off by the huge challenge that would face any new manager.
However, it is understood Martinez has not made up his mind completely whether to accept that challenge and has given himself until Tuesday to do so.
Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claimed on Friday the Spaniard had received an offer from Liverpool's principal owner John Henry after their meeting in Miami on Thursday.
Doubts emerged over Whelan's interpretation of the situation, with the Reds refusing to comment amid the general belief no formal offer had been made.
Throughout the process, Whelan has insisted it was not a foregone conclusion he would lose his manager to the club's north-west rivals, claiming there were still some issues - mainly surrounding working under a technical director - to be overcome before Martinez would even be in a position to accept.
Liverpool, who have also been linked with former Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas and Swansea's Brendan Rodgers, are looking to finalise the technical director post, with which Dutchman Louis van Gaal has been linked.
"(Martinez) went to Miami and had a very constructive meeting with the owner of Liverpool," Whelan told Sky Sports News.
"They're going to talk again on Tuesday. They've made Roberto an offer and he has agreed to consider it.
"He's said, 'What are my responsibilities?' These are American owners and the rules and regulations are a bit different from what we English set down.
"Roberto is a seven-days-a-week, 12-hours-a-day worker and I don't know whether they realise how hard he works.
"He has rules and regulations to be fully in charge of football and I know he won't move anywhere unless he is fully in charge of the football.
"I think he'll give it fair consideration. Hopefully, he stays with us but, wherever he goes, he's 100% dedicated to that football club."
But Latics captain Gary Caldwell told the Daily Star Sunday: "If the opportunity comes to go to Liverpool, you take it. We all understand that. I'm sure he would take it.
"He has what it takes to manage a club such as Liverpool. If that big job comes now then he has to go and show he is good enough.
"Having worked with him and knowing his tactical awareness and the thought he puts into training, then who knows what he could go on and achieve at a big club like Liverpool with their resources?"
Martinez's appointment would doubtless divide opinion among Liverpool supporters, some of whom may have been expecting a bigger name to be recruited to replace the sacked Kenny Dalglish.
But captain Steven Gerrard has already pledged his full support to Martinez should he get the job.
Gerrard, preparing for Saturday night's England friendly against Norway, was a big supporter of Dalglish but cautiously welcomed the idea of Martinez taking charge.
"We'll have to wait and see," said the midfielder.
"I'm aware Roberto Martinez has been talking to the club but all I've heard about him is positive.
"If he is going to be the manager, he's got my full support."