Sport : F1

NO BAHRAIN TRAVEL ALERT FOR GP FANS

19th April 2012, 02:27pm

Bet with SkyBet  Bahrain GP. Click here to bet.

The Bahrain Grand Prix is set to go ahead

The Bahrain Grand Prix is set to go ahead

British motor racing fans are not being advised by the Foreign Office (FCO) against travelling to the Bahrain Grand Prix, the Government said on Thursday.

Controversy surrounds this weekend's Formula One event in the Middle East amid the regime's crackdown on pro-democracy campaigners.

Last year's race was cancelled as international criticism grew over the bloodshed.

Speaking on Thursday as MPs discussed future Commons business, Labour MP and veteran human rights campaigner Ann Clwyd (Cynon Valley) said: "Amnesty International this week published a report which said nothing much has changed in Bahrain in the past year."

Despite calls for F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone to scrap the event, this year's race is due to go ahead.

Leader of the House Sir George Young said: "Although we are concerned by some of the violent exchanges still occurring in Bahrain and call on all sides to exercise restraint and follow the rule of law, at this stage the FCO is not giving any specific advice to visitors that they should cancel their visit."

He added: "The Formula One event is a matter for the Bahraini authorities and the organisers of the FIA (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile - world motor sport's ruling body)."

Bet with SkyBet  Bahrain GP. Click here to bet.

F1 Videos

    Caterham future in doubt

    Caterham future in doubt

    24-October-2014

    The administrator appointed to resolve Caterham's financial problems says he's approached Bernie Ecclestone for help in rescuing the Formula One team. Team supplier Caterham Sports Limited was placed in administration on Tuesday and staff are locked out of the factory. It means Caterham may not race at next weekend's United States Grand Prix.

    Things look bleak for Caterham

    Things look bleak for Caterham

    23-October-2014

    Caterham Group Chief Executive Graham MacDonald has admitted the situation is looking very bleak as they look to resolve their dispute with administrators over their debt.

    Confusion at Caterham

    Confusion at Caterham

    23-October-2014

    The confusion surrounding the Caterham F1 team has taken a new twist with a supplier, based on the same site, going into administration. Craig Slater brings you the latest.

    Not about one man

    Not about one man

    17-October-2014

    Mercedes' Constructors Championship has partially been credited to the influence of Ross Brawn, but former F1 driver Martin Donnelly feels that it's been a team effort, and can't all be down to one person.

    Sky Bet

      • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

    Facebook Favourites