Jenson Button is hoping Montreal will continue its love affair with Formula One this weekend despite anonymous threats forcing the cancellation of a popular fans' event today.
On a Thursday morning of a Canadian Grand Prix, the gates to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve have in the past been thrown open to thousands of fans to peruse the pit lane and watch the teams prepare for the race days ahead.
In past years, 30,000 to 50,000 spectators have made good use of the free access to enjoy a complimentary glimpse into the world of F1 ahead of the action starting on Friday with practice.
However, Francois Dumontier, the president of Octane Management, who stage the event, recently received correspondence suggesting the race would be targeted.
With Quebec in the grip of a three-month long student protest in opposition to the government's proposed hike in tuition fees, Dumontier opted to play it safe by cancelling the fans' day.
Notably, an emergency law introduced on May 18 known as Bill 78 that restricts freedom of assembly, protest, or picketing on or near university grounds and anywhere in Quebec without prior police approval, has resulted in nearly 3,000 arrests.
Although the track is based on an island in the middle of the St Lawrence Seaway, which can be easily protected for the most part, its weak spot is the Metro line and the one stop nearby.
Only recently four people were arrested in Montreal for letting off smoke grenades on the Metro and are now awaiting trial for incitement to terrorism.
In that regard Dumontier had no choice but to take the threats seriously, despite knowing the bitter disappointment cancelling the fans' event would cause given the popularity of this race.
For the drivers the feeling is the same, but understandable under the circumstances, and with the obvious hope the remainder of the weekend passes peacefully.
McLaren star Button, who won a stunning four-hour epic here last year, said: "It's a precautionary thing.
"It's the start of the weekend and we hope for a very exciting one because this is a big weekend for not only Formula One, but Montreal.
"If you listen to the radio here they are non-stop talking about the grand prix.
"Hopefully we can put this behind us and concentrate on having a great weekend, putting on a great show for all the fans that want to come and see us and enjoying this great sport.
"I'm sure the fans have good memories of last year especially, as well as previous years.
"The city of Montreal really comes alive over the course of a grand prix weekend - they really embrace it - and hopefully it won't be any different this year."
Echoing Button's sentiments, Webber is hopeful the event will go smoothly.
Winner last time out in Monaco to give F1 a record run of six different winners from the first six races, Webber said: "What has happened is disappointing.
"This is a sensational event - one of the top few grands prix of the year for fans, drivers, mechanics, photographers, journalists as the city really embraces the event.
"The drivers' parade lap is one of the best of the year, so there are a huge amount of positive aspects, and the Canadian Grand Prix has been held in a positive fashion for a long time now.
"I'm not completely up to speed with what is happening with some of the students and things, and I'm not saying it's a minority (causing the problems).
"But sometimes when there is a little bit of tension it means some people lose out as some fans would have come to see the track. It's really unfortunate.
"I'm sure the weekend will go well and the people here will put on a very good grand prix weekend for everyone in Montreal and Canada, which is the focus for everyone in Formula One."
Ferrari's Felipe Massa also voiced his concerns as he said: "We want to see all the fans here, all the young people and students enjoying the sport.
"I hope everything returns to normal because we feel sad for this situation."