Sport : F1

Vettel never feared for title

19th December 2012, 12:59pm

Vettel: Knew overtake was safe

Vettel: Knew overtake was safe

Sebastian Vettel never had any doubts over the validity of his 2012 drivers' title, despite the debate that briefly raged regarding his overtake of Jean-Eric Vergne at the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix.

The Red Bull driver's third consecutive world crown was thrown into doubt after Ferrari wrote to motor racing's world governing body, the FIA, to seek clarification on Vettel's move on the fourth lap of the race at Interlagos on November 25.

Had Ferrari's enquiry led to Vettel being found guilty of any wrongdoing, he could have faced a retrospective 20-second penalty, which would have seen Ferrari's Fernando Alonso instead take the drivers' title by a single point.

"To be honest, I never wasted one single thought that an irregularity was involved from my side," Vettel said in an interview with formula1.com.

"Even if it was an eventful race, I definitely saw all the flags - and their colours.

"I only got information that Ferrari was up to something after Christian (Horner, Red Bull team principal) called me saying that obviously Ferrari was not too happy with the outcome of the race."

Vettel appeared to pass Vergne in a yellow caution zone, where overtaking is forbidden, but television footage later proved that the German had already passed a green flag signalling the all-clear.

The FIA subsequently confirmed that Vettel had no case to answer, with Ferrari accepting the ruling while stressing they were not seeking to "undermine the legality of the race result".

"After the FIA had checked every single inch of the recording of the situation in question - and confirmed that everything was according to rules - Ferrari renounced any protests," Vettel added.

"But believe it or not, I knew since the chequered flag that there was not a single movement wrong from my side."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


F1 Videos

    Rosberg feels for Hamilton

    Rosberg feels for Hamilton

    24-May-2015

    Nico Rosberg says he feels for teammate Lewis Hamilton after he was effectively handed the Monaco Grand Prix due to a Mercedes error, but admits he can’t help but enjoy the win.

    Ted's Notebook - Monaco

    Ted's Notebook - Monaco

    24-May-2015

    Ted Kravitz brings you all the latest news following the Monaco Grand Prix.

    McLaren secure first points

    McLaren secure first points

    24-May-2015

    Jenson Button secured McLaren’s first points of the season with an eighth place finish at the Monaco Grand Prix.

    Wolff: We got our maths wrong

    Wolff: We got our maths wrong

    24-May-2015

    Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff explains why the wrong call was made when the team pitted driver Lewis Hamilton.

    Sky Bet

      • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

    Facebook Favourites