Sport : F1

Ferrari: We'd prefer Vettel

21st December 2012, 12:16pm

Bet with SkyBet  Formula 1 2013 Season. Click here to bet.

Sebastian Vettel: Ferrari's preferred replacement for Fernando Alonso

Sebastian Vettel: Ferrari's preferred replacement for Fernando Alonso

Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo has named World Champion Sebastian Vettel as their preference ahead of Lewis Hamilton should they ever need to replace Fernando Alonso.

The Red Bull driver has been repeatedly linked to Ferrari this season, with talk of a pre-contract for 2014, although Vettel has denied the suggestion on more than one occasion.

However, speaking at Ferrari's Maranello factory on Thursday, Montezemolo was quick to express his admiration for the 25-year-old German.

"If for whatever reason Fernando Alonso were to leave one day, maybe because he wants to retire in Hawaii with his girlfriend, then I want Vettel," the Gazzetta dello Sport quoted him as saying.

"Sebastian is a potential Ferrari driver for the future."

Whether Vettel ever partners Alonso remains to be seen as Montezemolo has previously said that he did not want to have "two roosters in the same hen house".

Rather, the 65-year-old wants two drivers "who race for Ferrari and not for themselves".

Montezemolo named Alonso, Vettel and Lewis Hamilton as the three best F1 drivers but said he preferred Vettel to Hamilton "because he's younger and hasn't been around so many teams".

Hamilton, the 2008 World Champion, will be racing for Mercedes next year after six years with McLaren. He turns 28 next month.

Montezemolo added that he first became aware of Vettel, who is now the sport's youngest ever triple World Champion, thanks to former Ferrari driver Michael Schumacher.

"It was Schumacher who pointed him out to me a few years ago, as he knew him from the time when Sebastian was still racing karts," he added. "I have to admit Michael was right but having said that, I am immensely happy to have Alonso in our team!"

Double World Champion Alonso, 31, has a contract with Ferrari until at least the end of 2016.


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Bet with SkyBet  Formula 1 2013 Season. Click here to bet.

F1 Videos

    Delayed debut for Force India

    Delayed debut for Force India

    22-January-2015

    Ted Kravitz talks to Force India's Technical Director Andrew Green and drivers Sergio Perez and Nico Hulkenberg about the launch of their 2015 car.

    Ecclestone - No plans to buy F1

    Ecclestone - No plans to buy F1

    22-January-2015

    Bernie Ecclestone has ruled out buying back a majority shareholding in Formula 1, but admits the sport would be in better shape if he had sole control.

    German GP in doubt

    German GP in doubt

    21-January-2015

    Bernie Ecclestone has cast fresh doubt over this year's German GP by suggesting the race may yet not go ahead at all.

    Ecclestone hopeful for Marussia survival

    Ecclestone hopeful for Marussia survival

    21-January-2015

    F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone is hopeful Marussia will survive into 2015 - but he's less optimistic about Caterham..

    Sky Bet

      • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

    Facebook Favourites