The coach of Aaron Cook believes a system which does not select the world number one in his class to represent his country at the Olympics is flawed.
Patrice Remarck claims Great Britain Taekwondo selectors have "manufactured" their candidate - Lutalo Muhammad, ranked 58 places below 21-year-old Cook in the under-80kg category - with the criteria they have applied.
Remarck insists Cook, who won back-to-back European titles last month, has proved by his results he is the best choice.
The athlete has instructed solicitors to explore the possibilities of a legal challenge having been overlooked for a third time while the British Olympic Association and the World Taekwondo Federation are both reviewing the process and will consult on Friday before the former's Qualification Standards Panel make their final assessment.
"I think the process is unbelievable. I think they have to use more objective criteria," said Remarck.
"They have to use more objective criteria to incorporate other factors.
"I am not going to judge their integrity but they put too much weight on other things (rather than results) and if you do that you come to the wrong conclusion.
"And if they use the same selectors they are going to come out with the same outcome."
Muhammad has to drop down a division to compete at -80kg in the Olympics, which Remarck thinks makes comparisons between the two combatants pointless.
"When you try to compare two athletes from two divisions you are not going to get the right results because you are comparing two different performances," added Cook's coach, who has been overseeing the 21-year-old's training since he left the coaching structure of GB Taekwondo a year ago.
"Comparing both is irrelevant. In 13 championships Aaron has won 10 gold medals and two bronze and his last success was the at the European Championships.
"Aaron is the best not just because of his world ranking but he is the best because he has beaten the best people in the division."
The BOA are continuing their deliberations and hope to come to a conclusion as soon as possible after finishing talks with the WTF.
"Before ratifying any athlete nomination for a host nation qualification place the OQS Panel must be certain the approved selection procedures have been followed and the process has been fair and balanced," said a BOA statement.
"Given the importance of the issues being considered, the OQS Panel will consult with the WTF and the BOA board of directors before making its final decision."
The WTF had hoped the issue would be resolved without their involvement, but having watched matters develop on Thursday - when the same five GB Taekwondo selectors picked Muhammad - provoke widespread media coverage, they have opted to act.
"We are extremely disappointed by the way in which British Taekwondo's selection process has been conducted and it is clear that the lack of a conclusive rationale has caused confusion," said secretary general Jean-Marie Ayer, who insisted the WTF would not interfere in individual selections.
"The manner of the selection is bringing our sport into disrepute among the UK media and major Olympic stakeholders due to a perceived lack of transparency.
"We at the WTF have done our utmost to bring fair practices and transparency to our sport and that is why we have committed to undertaking this review.
"This review will not have the power to alter British Taekwondo's decision, but it will determine whether any rules of the WTF ethics code have been broken."
GB Taekwondo insist they want a quick resolution and are confident they have followed correct procedure.
"We will give them our full co-operation to resolve this as quickly as possible," a spokesman said.
"The documentation, as we have reiterated, have been made freely available for all the athletes in contention.
"We are satisfied that all the requirements have been addressed. What we want is a speedy resolution for the athletes concerned."
Sports minister Hugh Robertson described the row as "embarrassing" and said he could take action if it was not resolved soon.
"Is it embarrassing for us? The answer to that is yes because you would rather not see our sports getting criticised by their international federations," he said.
"It is not for me to tell either British taekwondo or the British Olympic Association who they select or which individual athletes they select for GB.
"If I were to step into this process I set a very dangerous precedent. But if this one ran on for a long time clearly I will talk to the British Olympic Association about it."
Bob Mitchell, a partner at London law firm Harbottle & Lewis, added: "I can confirm that we are advising Aaron on the possible legal avenues which may be open to him."