Sport : Tennis

Career over for Kim Clijsters

2nd September 2012, 08:59am

Bet with SkyBet  US Open Women's. Click here to bet.

Clijsters and Bryan lost in the mixed doubles.

Clijsters and Bryan lost in the mixed doubles.

Kim Clijsters said goodbye to professional tennis on Saturday night as she and Bob Bryan lost in the second round of the mixed doubles at the US Open.

The Belgian announced earlier this year that she would bow out at Flushing Meadows and her singles career ended on Wednesday when she was beaten by British teenager Laura Robson.

That still left Clijsters with doubles but she lost in the first round of the women's event and in mixed she and Bryan went down 6-2 3-6 12-10 to Russia's Ekaterina Makarova and Brazil's Bruno Soares.

They were roared on by the Court 17 crowd, including Clijsters' husband Brian Lynch and their four-year-old daughter Jada, and it looked like she might hang on when the pair saved four match points, but it was not to be.

Clijsters, who was given a standing ovation as she addressed the crowd, said: "It's been an honour to be a part of this lifestyle and have so many dreams come true.

"Life goes on but that doesn't mean I don't love the sport any more. That's one of the reasons I wanted to play mixed doubles and I would have loved to win.

"I'm happy that I'm closing off this chapter and starting a new life with my family. I had a great night and I couldn't have asked for a better way to finish."

Bryan was disappointed he could not have helped Clijsters stay in the tournament a bit longer but hailed his partner as "one of the legends".

He said: "It's a true honour. She showed tonight why she's one of the legends and she'll always be a legend.

"She's the nicest person in the world. I'm sorry I let you down. It's bittersweet but I love you and you played incredible."

Bet with SkyBet  US Open Women's. Click here to bet.

Tennis Videos

    Nadal's confidence concerns

    Nadal's confidence concerns

    14-April-2015

    Mark Petchey thinks Rafael Nadal will be able to get past his confidence issues for the Monte-Carlo Masters.

    Home comforts for Djokovic

    Home comforts for Djokovic

    13-April-2015

    Monaco resident Novak Djokovic says he is feeling confident ahead of his participation in the Monte Carlo Masters.

    Clay season's coming

    Clay season's coming

    10-April-2015

    Watch the ‘King of Clay’ Rafael Nadal in action at next week’s Monte Carlo Masters, live on Sky Sports.

    Rusedski: Murray on Track

    Rusedski: Murray on Track

    07-April-2015

    Greg Rusedski thinks Andy Murray is getting back to his best form ahead of next month's French Open. Murray made the Miami Open final but lost to Novak Djokovic for the 7th time in a row.

    Sky Bet

    Facebook Favourites