Sport : Tennis

Illness to delay Nadal return

25th December 2012, 03:44pm

Bet with SkyBet  Rafael Nadal Specials. Click here to bet.

Rafael Nadal: Out of Abu Dhabi event

Rafael Nadal: Out of Abu Dhabi event

Rafael Nadal has been forced to delay his return to competitive tennis because of a stomach bug.

Nadal was due to come back after seven months out with a recurring knee injury in Abu Dhabi on December 27.

The former world No 1 has not played since being knocked out of Wimbledon in June by Lukas Rosol.

He said last week that he was not expecting to be back to 100% until the clay-court season and the illness will not help his lowly early-year position.

Nadal said on his Facebook page that 'everything had been prepared' but that his doctors told him his body needed to be rested to fight the virus.

The 26-year-old is still expected to play in Doha next week.

"I am really sorry but I cannot compete this year in Abu Dhabi," wrote the seven-time French Open champion, presently ranked No 4 in the world.

"Everything was ready and I was really eager to return to competition, but the doctors have forbidden me to participate in Abu Dhabi because of a viral infection of the stomach which has provoked a fever."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Bet with SkyBet  Rafael Nadal Specials. Click here to bet.

Tennis Videos

    Henry & Redknapp's Hot Dog Challenge!

    Henry & Redknapp's Hot Dog Challenge!

    04-September-2015

    Thierry Henry and Jamie Redknapp take on the Hot Dog Challenge!

    Murray through in five sets

    Murray through in five sets

    03-September-2015

    Andy Murray had to come from two sets down to beat Adrian Mannarino at the US Open and set up a 3rd round match against Thomaz Bellucci.

    Sock collapses from heat exhaustion

    Sock collapses from heat exhaustion

    03-September-2015

    Jack Sock was forced to retire in his match against Ruben Bemelmans after struggling in the tough conditions at Flushing Meadows.

    Konta breaks record in round three

    Konta breaks record in round three

    03-September-2015

    Johanna Konta defeated number 9 seed Garbine Muguruza 7-6 6-7 6-2 in what became the longest women's match in US Open history.

    Sky Bet

    Facebook Favourites